Work With Me
PhD Applicants: If you are interested in doing a PhD at NC State, feel free to email me or list me as an “interested” faculty member on your application. I typically only respond to emails if they discuss why students are interested in working with me specifically. The easiest way to do this is to look at my recent publications and suggest what you find interesting about one or more of them.
Ph.D. Students: If you are a current NC State PhD student looking for an advisor, look at my prior and current projects, identify the ones that seem the most interesting, and let me know in an email. We can discuss research as part of a course or an independent study.
Master’s Students: If you are interested in doing research with me, I recommend you take a class with me (or CSC 574 with one of my colleagues, and take the research option with me). MS students do not need prior research experience, but I prefer to work with students interested in a thesis. I do not have GRA funding for MS students who have not worked with me previously.
Undergraduate Students: I occasionally have opportunities for undergraduate students who have completed CSC 230. There are no GPA or prior experience requirements. Sincere interest, a 10 hour/week commitment, and CSC 230 or equivalent are the only requirements. If you’re interested in network or application security research, send me an email.
Teaching Assistant Applicants: I do not hire students for TAs who have not previously taken the course in question.
As a researcher dedicated to real-world impact, I love working with industry. There are lots of ways of working with me (some of them free for you!) These include:
- Inspiration Tell me about a new/hard problem you don’t think the academy or industry is doing right.
- Analytics Share data to answer questions of mutual interest. My group has experience securely managing highly sensitive data under confidential data agreements.
- Hire my students for internships or full-time positions! Contact me for details.
- Tech Transfer License my existing IP or discuss transitioning research protoypes to practice.
- Commission Research You can engage my group to conduct work in an area of mutual interest through a research contract (pre-agreed upon deliverables) or an unrestricted gift (no mandated deliverables, but may be tax deductible).
- Consulting I am occasionally available to provide consulting and training in areas of my expertise, which include secure communications, security measurement of applications and networking, application auditing, and telecommunications fraud and security. Email me for details.